INTERNATIONALLY KNOWN LINCOLN PORTRAYER
RETURNS FOR CITY CELEBRATION
Event will also feature new film on Civil War Balloon Corps
One of the foremost Abraham Lincoln portrayers is returning to Lincoln for the City’s 14th annual Abraham Lincoln Birthday Celebration Sunday, Feb. 16, at Southwest High School, 7001 South 14th St. Actor Fritz Klein lives in Springfield, Illinois where he performs at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.
Fritz performed at the 2002, 2004 and 2005 City celebrations. He has performed as President Lincoln in 38 states and internationally and has appeared in numerous documentary and feature films for National Geographic, Discovery, History Channel and Smithsonian Channel. He was featured last summer in the History’s Channel’s “Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy” His website is lincolninstitute.com.
The event will also feature two showings of “Intrepid,” a new 30-minute film about President Lincoln’s Civil War Balloon Corps and its Chief Aeronaut, Thaddeus Lowe. Terry Lowe, a City employee and member of the celebration committee, is a descendant of Thaddeus Lowe and will display his collection of items related to this historic effort.
The free celebration is presented by the City of Lincoln with support from the Nebraska Humanities Council and local businesses, organizations and individuals. Music for dancing will be provided by the Smith Family Band of Hastings and local favorite Chris Sayre, who has performed at every City Abraham Lincoln Birthday Celebration. The doors open at noon, and the schedule for the day includes the following:
- Noon to 5:30 p.m., Commons area – Children’s games, toys, and activities; historical exhibits; free refreshments, including birthday cake.
- 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., Commons area – Dancing with the Smith Family Band
- 1 p.m., Auditorium – First showing of “Intrepid”
- 1:30 p.m. – Impersonator contest judging. All ages welcome. Register at information desk day of event.
- 2:30 p.m., Commons area – Birthday Ceremony with remarks, sponsor recognition, impersonators awards and singing of “Happy Birthday”
- 2:45 p.m., Auditorium – Chris Sayre
- 3 to 4 p.m., Auditorium – Fritz Klein as President Abraham Lincoln
- 4 to 5:30 p.m., Commons area – Chris Sayre
- 4:30 p.m., Auditorium – Second showing of “Intrepid”
Exhibitors will include Susan Dittman of Lincoln, author of “Abraham Lincoln’s Shining Star – the Inspiring Story of Abraham Lincoln and Nebraska.” Area Civil War re-enactors in authentic uniforms will mingle with the crowd and answer questions.
More information is available on the City Web site at lincoln.ne.gov or by calling 402-441-7831.